AFTE 2018 Photo Contest Sponsored by Forensic Pieces
The AFTE photo contest is ready for submissions! Find the entry form below.
- Deadline is May 18, 2018
- An entry form must be completed for each photo submitted.
- Entries are free of cost to Seminar Attendees.
- Categories include Forensic and General
- Maximum entry is two photos per person per category
- Entries will be voted on by Seminar Attendees
- Winners will be chosen from each category ($50.00 Prizes), along with an overall winner ($100.00 Prize)
- Winners will be announced on Thursday, June 7, 2018 at the Banquet
- Digital images may be in black & white or color.
- Digital images should be submitted in JPEG or TIF format.Post-processing issues – While acknowledging that some processing can be helpful, the goal of this contest is to showcase your camera skills, not your editing prowess (although if there is enough interest, we could create a new category for edited photos in the future). Listed below are rules borrowed from National Geographic
- Please submit photographs that are un-manipulated. The world is already full of visual artifice, and we don’t want the Photo Contest to add to it. We want to see the world through your eyes, not the tools of Photoshop or setup photography.
- Please do not digitally enhance or alter your photographs (beyond the basics needed to achieve realistic color balance and sharpness). If you have digitally added or removed anything, please don't submit the shot.
- DODGING AND BURNING: Dodging (to brighten shadows) or burning (to darken highlights) is fine, but please don’t overdo it. Your goal in using digital darkroom techniques should be to adjust the dynamic tonal range of an image so that it more closely resembles what you saw.
- COLOR SATURATION: Just as with dodging and burning, your goal should be to make it real. Please avoid significant over- or under-saturation. A lot of photographers make the mistake of over-saturating color, making their images look cartoonish.
- SOLARIZATION, MEZZOTINT, DUOTONE, ETC.: These are discouraged. There are a myriad of alteration "filters" available in digital photo software; please avoid them. They may be cool and fun, but they won’t help you in this contest.
- BLACK-AND-WHITE IMAGES: Acceptable
- CROPPING: Acceptable
- STITCHED PANORAMAS: NOT Acceptable
- HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR) IMAGES: NOT Acceptable
- Photos must be original work and available for public display. The AFTE 2018 Host Committee reserves the right to screen entries for content and post-processing. RAW images may be requested upon evaluation of a submissions
- All rights to submissions are maintained by the owner; however, by submitting an entry you give permission to the AFTE 2018 Host Committee to reproduce the images for display.
Email entries and/or questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org