- To advance the discipline of firearm and toolmark identification by responding to requests from the AFTE Board of Directors for draft responses regarding the science of firearm and toolmark identification that are received from the media, research entities, and any other appropriate individuals or organizations.
Chair: John Murdock
Members: Brandon Giroux, Luke Haag, Jim Hamby, Andy Smith, Pete Striupaitis
- The mission of the Advisory Committee is to assist the Board of Directors and the members of the Association by offering advice, counsel and assistance from their knowledge of the Association and the field of firearms and tool mark identification.
Chair: Kathy Richert
Members: Mark Keisler, Ray Cooper, Dan Gunnell, John Finor
- To accept, evaluate and render an opinion on applications submitted for AFTE membership, based upon the eligibility requirements as set forth in Article III of the AFTE Bylaws.
Chair: Travis Spinder
Members: Lannie Emanuel, Evan T. Garrison, Dan Alessio, Bill Demuth
- To receive recommended changes or modifications to the existing By-Laws and present them to the general membership for consideration.
Chair: Dan Alessio
Members: Eugene Bishop, Kathy Geil, Travis Spinder, Pete Striupaitis, Michael Ward
- To progress in a way that is consistent with the collective vision of the AFTE Board of Directors.
- To administer the primary certification program.
- To work with independent firms to administer online written certification tests.
- To administer practical certification tests.
- To administer the recertification program.
Chair: Eric Collins
Members: Dwight Deskins, Jason Flater, Jodi Marsanopoli, Don Mikko, Michael Neel, Robert Thompson
- To educate both the individual accused and the membership in general of the ethics of the profession and the importance of ethical behavior.
- To advise the criminal justice system of those individuals who engage in serious unethical activity, in order to promote the ends of justice.
- To protect the reputation of the Association from those members who may engage in unethical activity.
Chair: Ed Wallace
Members: Katharina Babcock, Jeff Goudeau
- The Editorial Committee is responsible for the production of the AFTE Journal, (the official publication of the Association) the AFTE Newsletter, and any other publications that may be directed by the Board of Directors, and is responsible for ensuring the quality and technical accuracy of these publications.
Editor: Cole Goater
Assistant Editors: Robert Caunt, Eric Collins, Mike Haag, Bill Matty
AFTE News Coordinator: April Kendrick
Publication Secretary: Russell McLain
Editorial Review Panel: Jason Crafton, Gerard Dutton, Chris Gunsolley, Kim Haag, Julie Knapp, Erica Lawton, John Marshall, Ron Nichols, Julie Red Leaf, Kim Stevens, Ed Wallace
- To design and maintain a database of technical reference materials, including images, data, and documents, relevant to the field of Firearm and Tool Mark Identification accessible to the membership through the AFTE website.
Chair: Erica Lawton
Co-Chair: Adam Grooms
Firearm Characteristics Database Sub-Committee: Jill Therriault (Chair), Bob Hart, Brian Parr, Megan Shaw, Jay Stuart, Eric Warren, Charles Watson, Linzee Willette
Safety Recall List Sub-Committee: Mitzi Templeton (Chair)
Quality Assurance Sub-Committee: Michael Lee (Chair), Jessica Bailey, Rusty Day, Samantha Harter, Laura Hollenbeck, Therese Moynihan, Dean Molnar, Jimmy Palma
Admissibility Resource Kit (ARK) Sub-Committee: Kent Weber (Chair), Scott Doyle, Brandon Giroux, Greg Klees, Andy Smith, Ed Wallace
- To preserve records relating to the evolution of the association, who the individuals were, when and what contributions were made in the past for future reference by members and interested parties.
Chair: Helen Lake
Members: Rebecca Smith
- To award “that AFTE member who has assisted the association in an outstanding manner”.
Chair: Julie Knapp
Members: Valerie Bernardi, Stephanie Dees, James Looney, Kenton Wong
- The Nominating Committee will be responsible for seeking qualified AFTE candidates to serve on the Board of Directors and Board of Admissions. The committee will review all qualified applicants and present the slate of officers to the membership at the annual AFTE Business Meeting.
Chair: Jodi Marsanopoli
Members: Laura Fleming, Erica Lawton
- To provide the association members with a mechanism for independent and confidential evaluation of disputed / questionable proficiency test results and/or quality through the use of referee laboratories.
Chair: John Mancini
Members: Jorge Bello, Victoria Kujala, Cindee Lorenzo, Kurt Zielinski
- To accept and assess submitted proposals for research projects and award funds based upon the merits of the proposals.
Chair: Michelle Fletcher
Members: Eric Collins, Rick Wyant
- To recognize and encourage outstanding students to pursue studies to prepare them for a career in the forensic science profession.
Chair: Erin Mulligan
Members: Amy Amstutz, Eugene Bishop, Mike Giusto, Ken Green, Samantha Harter, Michelle Hunsinger, Torrey Johnson
Sickness & Distress Mission
- Upon notification and depending on the situation, offer condolences to AFTE members and/or their family in the event of a death or major illness, injury or surgery.
Family Assistance Mission
- To provide assistance to the surviving family or executors of deceased AFTE members in determining the value and market of firearms, ammunition, literature, scientific instruments and equipment, and other firearm and toolmark identification related materials.
Sickness & Distress Chair: Jill Dupre
Family Assistance Chair: Jim Carroll
Members: Helen Lake, Lance Martini
- To maintain and advance AFTE Standards and Training Documents.
Chair: Bill DeMuth
Glossary Sub-Committee: Amy Weber (Chair), Valerie Bernardi, Jessica Copeland, Stephanie Dees, Travis Grover, Stacey Hartman, Michelle Hunsinger, Daniel Jackson, Russell Karsten, Stefanie Watkins, Jane Whitworth
Training Manual Sub-Committee: Ashely Northcutt (Chair), Susan Allen, Deion Christophe, Don Dunbar, Jennifer Floyd, Jodi Marsanopoli, Carolyn Martinez, Nicholas Mattia, Carey Muhlhauser, Jessica Winn, Gerald Petillo (In Memoriam)
AFTE Seminar DVD Sub-Committee: Lauren Claytor (Chair), Dana Bonar, Gene Rivera
Technical Procedure Sub-Committee: Erin Mulligan (Chair), Jessica Copeland, Steve Deady, Donnie Finley, Susan Kim, Robert Thompson, Kurt Zielinski
- To research and select an AFTE Member who has made significant contributions to the association through the submission of publications to the AFTE Journal.
Chair: Sarah Yoshida
Members: Mike Appel, Diane Matthias, Carl Rone, Jaco Swanenoel
- To be an advisory source to the Board of Admissions on applications for Technical Advisor status.
Chair: Paul Szabo
Members: Ron Borgio, Ken Green, Fred Schmidt
- To assisting past, present, and future Host Committees with information and past practices to better facilitate a successful training seminar from the planning stages through the final close-out.
Chair: Adam Grooms
Co-Chair: Jay Stuart
Members: Mark Keisler, Laura Fleming, April Kendrick, Jeff Goudeau
- To maintain a viable and professional website that serves the needs of both the AFTE membership as well as the general public.
Chair: Jay Stuart
Members: Scott Doyle, Jill Therriault
Forum Moderators: Bob Shem (Global Moderator), Justin Bechaver, Bridget Chambers, Dwight Deskins, Michelle Fletcher, Greg Laskowski, Carolyn Martinez, Chris Monturo, Amy Weber
- To re-evaluate the purpose of AFTE’s financial holdings and the need to have a professional firm manage AFTE’s investments.
Chair: Jim Hall
Members: Jim Carroll, Jim Hamby, Gary Lind, Erin Mulligan, Melissa Oberg, Alison Quereau, Loren Sugarman
- To work in conjunction with the National Forensic Science and Technology Center (NFSTC) to identify and acquire grants and other funding sources. Determine how to utilize secured funds for the advancement of AFTE and its members.
Chair: Kathy Geil
Members: Lynette Lancon, TL Price, Angela Stroman
- To review the current procedures for the AFTE Enforcement of the Code of Ethics for consistency and clarify for use by the Ethics Committee and the general membership.
Chair: Anne Davis
Members: Katharina Babcock, Jamie Becker, Kathy Richert, Joe Saloom