- To advance the discipline of firearm and toolmark identification by responding to requests from the AFTE Board of Directors for draft responses regarding the science of firearm and toolmark identification that are received from the media, research entities, and any other appropriate individuals or organizations.
Chair: Kathy Geil
Members: Matthew Bolton, Aaron Brudenell, Zac Carr, David Curtis, Kim Downs, Chris Monturo, Jaime Smith, Jill Therriault
- The mission of the Advisory Committee is to assist the Board of Directors and the members of the Association by offering advice, counsel and assistance from their knowledge of the Association and the field of firearms and tool mark identification.
Chair: Andy Smith
Members: Lannie Emanuel, Travis Spinder, Brandon Giroux, Kathy Richert
- To accept, evaluate and render an opinion on applications submitted for AFTE membership, based upon the eligibility requirements as set forth in Article III of the AFTE Bylaws.
Chair: Ed Wallace
Members: Wendy Gibson, Jeff Goudeau, Amy Weber, Julie Knapp
- To receive recommended changes or modifications to the existing By-Laws and present them to the general membership for consideration.
Chair: Dan Alessio
Members: Eugene Bishop, Kelsey Cramer, Kathy Geil, Travis Spinder, Michael Ward
- To progress in a way that is consistent with the collective vision of the AFTE Board of Directors.
- To administer the primary certification program.
- To work with independent firms to administer online written certification tests.
- To administer practical certification tests.
- To administer the recertification program.
Chair: Stephen Ostrowski
Members: Eric Collins, Dwight Deskins, Cindee Lorenzo, Frans Maritz, Jodi Marsanopoli, Michael Neel, Robert Thompson
- The Editorial Committee is responsible for the production of the AFTE Journal, (the official publication of the Association) the AFTE Newsletter, and any other publications that may be directed by the Board of Directors, and is responsible for ensuring the quality and technical accuracy of these publications.
Editor: Jennifer Gelston
Assistant Editors: Casey Alvarez-Bacha, Eric Collins, Gerard Dutton, Mike Haag, Bill Matty, Eric Warren
Copy Editor: Dana Gicale
Copy Editor/AFTE News Coordinator: Darryl Barr
Publication Secretary: Jaco Swanepoel
Editorial Review Panel: Justin Bechaver, Glenn Davis, Pavel Giverts, Chris Gunsolley, Kim Haag, Julie Knapp, Erica Lawton, Ron Nichols, Erin Mulligan, Jessica Winn
- To educate both the individual accused and the membership in general of the ethics of the profession and the importance of ethical behavior.
- To advise the criminal justice system of those individuals who engage in serious unethical activity, in order to promote the ends of justice.
- To protect the reputation of the Association from those members who may engage in unethical activity.
Chair: Ed Love
Members: David Wright, Kevin Streine
- To design and maintain a database of technical reference materials, including images, data, and documents, relevant to the field of Firearm and Tool Mark Identification accessible to the membership through the AFTE website.
Chair: Erica Lawton
Co-Chair: Adam Grooms
Firearm Characteristics Database Sub-Committee: Jill Therriault (Chair), Brian Parr, Megan Shaw, Jay Stuart, Linzee Willette
Safety Recall List Sub-Committee: Mitzi Templeton (Chair)
Quality Assurance Sub-Committee: Michael Lee (Chair), Jessica Bailey, Jessica Copeland, Dwight Deskins, Samantha Harter, Laura Hollenbeck, Franz Maritz, Therese Moynihan, Jimmy Palma
Admissibility Resource Kit (ARK) Sub-Committee: Jim Stevens (Chair), Brandon Giroux, Greg Klees, Patricia Linley, Andy Smith, Ed Wallace
- To preserve records relating to the evolution of the association, who the individuals were, when and what contributions were made in the past for future reference by members and interested parties.
Chair: Helen Lake
Members: Rebecca Smith
- To periodically review AFTE’s finances and make recommendations for present and future investments based on goals set forth by the Board of Directors.
Chair: Jim Carroll
Members: Sean Daniel, Gary Lind, Melissa Oberg, Andrew Winter
- To award “that AFTE member who has assisted the association in an outstanding manner”.
Chair: Valerie Bernardi
Members: Mike Beddow, Julie Knapp, Lauren Black, Calissa Carper, Christopher Clayton, David Curtis, Kristin Drury, Felicia Evans, Angela Garvin, Stephanie Luehr, Dennis Lyons, Rebecca Mullen, Kenton Wong
- The Nominating Committee will be responsible for seeking qualified AFTE candidates to serve on the Board of Directors and Board of Admissions. The committee will review all qualified applicants and present the slate of officers to the membership at the annual AFTE Business Meeting.
Chair: Susan Kerr
Members: Lynn Skoglund, Jason Crafton
- To accept and assess submitted proposals for research projects and award funds based upon the merits of the proposals.
Chair: Michelle Fletcher
Members: Eric Collins, Rick Wyant
- To recognize and encourage outstanding students to pursue studies to prepare them for a career in the forensic science profession.
Chair: Samantha Harter
Members: Steven Aston, Jill Dupre, Erin Mulligan, Kasia Lynch, Jeremy Monkres, Robyn Ostby, Holli Worden
Sickness & Distress Mission
- Upon notification and depending on the situation, offer condolences to AFTE members and/or their family in the event of a death or major illness, injury or surgery.
Family Assistance Mission
- To provide assistance to the surviving family or executors of deceased AFTE members in determining the value and market of firearms, ammunition, literature, scientific instruments and equipment, and other firearm and toolmark identification related materials.
Sickness & Distress Chair: Jill Dupre
Family Assistance Chair: Jim Carroll
Members: Charmaine Higashi, Alexander Jason, Helen Lake
- To maintain and advance AFTE Standards and Training Documents.
Chair: Amy Weber
Copyright Sub-Committee: Jennifer Gelston (Chair), Gregory Hickey, Karen Weimorts
Glossary Sub-Committee: Travis Gover (Chair), Justin Bechaver, Valerie Bernardi, Jessica Copeland, Stephanie Luehr, Stephanie Happ, Stacey Hartman, Michelle Hunsinger, Daniel Jackson, Russell Karsten, Jane Whitworth
Training Manual Sub-Committee: Ashely Northcutt (Chair), Carey Alvarez-Bacha, Jennifer Floyd, Susan Kerr, Jodi Marsanopoli, Carolyn Martinez, Nicholas Mattia, Jessica Winn
AFTE Seminar DVD Sub-Committee: Lauren Claytor (Chair), Dana Gicale, Brian Grabowski, Cara McCarthy, Stephanie Luehr
Technical Procedure Sub-Committee: Erin Mulligan (Chair), Jessica Copeland, Steve Deady, Donnie Finley, Dean Molnar, Therese Moynihan, Rafael Perez, Robert Thompson, Kurt Zielinski
- To research and select an AFTE Member who has made significant contributions to the association through the submission of publications to the AFTE Journal.
Chair: Jaco Swanepoel
Members: Mike Appel, Felicia McIntire, David Curtiss, Mark Proia
- To be an advisory source to the Board of Admissions on applications for Technical Advisor status.
Chair: Alan Zheng
Members: Erwin Mattijssen
- To assisting past, present, and future Host Committees with information and past practices to better facilitate a successful training seminar from the planning stages through the final close-out.
Chair: Adam Grooms
Co-Chair: Jeff Goudeau
Members: Julie Knapp, Calissa Carper, Ryan Kent, Mallory Foster, Jennifer Gelston, Heather Dover
- To maintain a viable and professional website that serves the needs of both the AFTE membership as well as the general public.
Chair: Jay Stuart
Assistant Webmaster: Jill Kurzenberger
Members: Scott Doyle, Jill Therriault
Forum Moderators: Bob Shem (Global Moderator), Justin Bechaver, Bridget Chambers, Dwight Deskins, Michelle Fletcher, Greg Laskowski, Carolyn Martinez, Chris Monturo, Amy Weber
- To assist and guide potential AFTE researchers in creating the best possible study design. By improving research parameters, the subcommittee will strive to ensure the highest quality and scientifically sound practices
Chair: Judy Chin
Members: Ryan Lilien, Todd Weller, Annalisa Lacalamita
Non-AFTE Advisors: Dr. Stephanie Madon (Psychology), Dr. Max Morris (Statistics)
- To provide assistance to the treasurer in applicable duties set forth by the treasurer
Chair: Melissa Oberg
Members: Bridget Chambers, Angela Kilmon, Tim Spears
Chair: Cole Goater
Members: Aaron Brudenell, Jason Crafton, Heather Francis, Dana Gicale, Laura Lightstone, Carolyn Martinez, Angel Moses, Stacey Phetteplace, Todd Weller
Chair: Omar Felix
Members: Alexander Belt, Alina Sanchez, Chris Monturo, Steve Guerra
Chair: Eric Warren
Members: Kathleen Clardy, Toniann Rebick